Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Starting My Adventure

It's my birthday!  Happy birthday me!

And to celebrate, my mom decided to get me my very own laptop computer.  She said that it came from her and dad, even though he had to be at work before I woke up this morning.  She also said that it would be very useful for me, because today is the day I get to start going on my very own trip around Kanto, to learn what it means to become a Pokemon trainer today.

Ever since they raised the age of kids who were able to get their very first Pokemon from their local professor/gym leader to 17, I've been waiting.  Of course, they would do that to me on the eve of my tenth birthday, when the age used to be.

But that doesn't matter now!  The day is here.  And even though dad couldn't be here, I can't wait.

I know, I'll start by seeing what Blue is up to.  Although, he's been kind of a prick lately.  I wonder what's gotten into him?

-----------------------------------

That was weird.  Blue wasn't home.  It was just his sister.  She said something about going to the Pokemon lab to wait for their grandpa?

I'm not that late to wake up, am I?

Really though, what has gotten into Blue.  We used to be such good friends.  He and I were born on the same day, and we had been really close ever since we got home from the hospital.  We used to dream about getting our very own Pokemon one day.  I was going to get a Charmander like my Dad.  And he said he was going to get a Bulbasaur, because he and his mom spent so much time gardening together.

But then, about a couple of years ago, he stopped hanging out with me.  He started being disrespectful to his parents and grandparents.  He started staying out late after school.

I was really hoping that when we started our Pokemon journeys together today that things would be different than they were; that they would go back to the way they used to be.

-----------------------------------

Of course, that hope was promptly shattered a few minutes ago, when it was time for us to pick out our Pokemon.

Let me back up for a second.

I went down to the lab to find Blue and Professor Oak, but only Blue was there.  He was really impatient, like he forgot what today was supposed to be all about.

After watching him sulk and glare at me for a few minutes, I asked one of the professor's aids where the Professor might be, and they said he had gone off to do some field work.

Well...you know ADHD me, I couldn't wait any longer.  So I ran out to find him, but just as I stepped into the long grass, Professor Oak stopped me.

He told me that I should know better than to try wandering in the tall grass without my Pokemon.  Of course, he wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that I was looking for him and that I had been waiting.  He just had me follow him back to the lab and gave Blue and I the same speech that he's given us for a long time now.

Finally, the moment came when I got to pick out my Pokemon.  Of course I chose Charmander.  It was only the companion that I had been dreaming about for years.  But then Blue did something I completely did not expect.

He picked up a Squirtle.  What?

That's not Bulbasaur.  I guess I was wrong about how this Pokemon journey was going to bring us back together.

And to further drive the point home, just as we were about to leave the lab, Blue challenged me to a Pokemon battle.

I wasn't quite ready for that, because he didn't seem to care about meeting our new companions, but rather just seeing how strong his Squirtle turned out to be.  Charmander and I managed to beat him though, thankfully I had grabbed the potion my dad had given me on my 10th birthday on my way out the door this morning.  Charmander was a good battler, but Squirtle managed to get a couple of good hits in before it fainted.

Blue took off, muttering something about the Pokemon League.  I guess I'll head north to Viridian City and find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment